Sunday, February 21, 2010

Chat's Logical Conclusion

While the phrase, "Taken to its logical conclusion" is something that I hear fairly frequently (at least in my own head, as I apply a Kantian foolish consistency to my actions), I do think that Chatroulette does actually qualify. You talk to a random person on a webcam. Or not. No promises. No commitment. A monad of human interaction.

I haven't really investigated it, so I'm not even sure you can ever find them again even if you wanted to . . . . It's feeling, actually, a little bit like the hiring scheme from Diamond Age, where (if I remember correctly) the drummers had to work for some ungodly number of computational cycles in order to backtrace a single transaction so that Miranda who was narrating for the little girl could find her.

That's an aside from the additional abstraction that you get from Chatroulette. Maybe it is more akin to the Single Serving Friend concept from Fight Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment